Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Finally Home!

Okay, so perhaps I should have written this post almost a month ago now.  I keep thinking about it....  but there's this thing called school and (super) senior year that keeps getting in the way.

I know, I know, do I really have to write a blog now?  I'm home, aren't I?

Well, no, it's not required, but it's a place to end.  After reading how many blogs this summer- I know that I want to let all....  my few....  my parents.... know that I made it home all right.  Of course, they already know.

So maybe this post is just for me.  Just for my reflective needs.

To begin with, I'll tell the chronological stuff that needs to be said: all day Friday, all the jet-lag, moving, etc. etc.

The last time I posted I was in Philly on my way back to Detroit, the story left off when I was still in Hamburg.

Took first SBahn from Hauptbahnhof to the airport.  Freshened up in the bathroom.  Went to gate, through security, fell asleep at terminal.  Well, kinda, I was too nervous to get any real sleep.  Picked up a couple of newspapers, plane ride short, don't remember much, Frankfurt.

Had to pick up luggage in Frankfurt, had to wait to check it in.  Guy scared me with questions.  In terminal, no food options, but time to go.  Creepy room with lots of babies (though they ended up being good on the plane....  surprise....), on plane.

This plane ride home was the ride of people all over me in my space.  They were either leaning on me or yeah....  anyways.

My flight from Frankfurt to Philly was surprisingly relatively turbulence free.  Especially if you take into account the fact that we were going through Hurricane Earl. Relatively empty plane.  Movies: "UP!", "Ratatouille" (which I watched auf Deutsch!), tv: "How I Met Your Mother", etc. etc.

Cried as we landed in the US.

The most interesting thing that happened on the way home was the delay in the Philly airport.  At first I didn't bother to check if it was on time, I assumed it was.  Then I heard it was going to be about an hour late.  So I decided to Skype call my parents and tell them what was up.  Afterwords, I precede to check the status of my flight: it said on time!  In only about 10 minutes!  And I had take the bus to the F terminal!  I was freaking out!

Well, I made it over there with plenty off time...  especially since there was a ten minute delay...  Nicht zu schlecht.

My flight from Philly to Detroit had to be the best flight I've ever had.  The people were great and the flight attendant was awesome.  Happy to see my parents again.

Checked out new dorm: North Quad.  Sleep sleep sleep.  Pack and move.  More sleep, more jet-lag.

Now for reflection:


So here is picture of the approximately 20 pounds I left in the Hamburg airport- this is what I had to let go of after leaving 5-6 pairs of pants and numerous shirts at my host mother's house, 3 or four pairs of pants in the Berlin hostel (along with shampoos, dish soap, this and that, more clothes, more trash).....

I've been thinking about what I left behind, and what I managed to bring back with me.  And my analysis has nothing to doing with the tangible material items.

I left behind a inexperienced self traveler; I came back knowing that traveling alone isn't all it's cracked up to be.  I left behind someone who didn't know what she wanted to do with her life.  I came back as someone who doesn't know what she want to do with life and doesn't really care.

I was hoping that I would be coming back with all the answers about what I am going to do with the rest of my life.  However I realized that I just have to take things one step at a time.  The rest will figure itself out.  Besides, how many times do things end up the way we plan them?  So why even bother at all?  That's not to say that I don't have goals- they're just more loosely based on my career choice.

I guess I could go on and on; relive the mistakes I made, and the disappointments.  But those aren't the things I'm going to remember in the end.  I'm going to remember the good.  And learn from all the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment