Wednesday, August 11, 2010

11.8.2010: I am an American

Today, when I was in the kitchen- cooking my delicious meatballs (let me repeat that: DELICIOUS)- I was identified as an American, not because of my accent, looks, etc....
but because I was cooking with butter.

Yup, because of my non-sticking methods, someone could guess that I came from the US.  Oh, and cooking spray is totally American.  Who knew?

This led into a conversation about "The Daily Show" and how mental Americans are....

I guess if this Englishman was basing his views on only this show....  I guess he might have a point.

But I did have to mention that "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" (which I prefer), are indeed satiric takes on the daily news, and not the views of the typical American.

(And what about other American shows viewed in other countries....  There's many of them I don't think can translate well....  For instance, take "The Simpsons".  Another show that makes fun of society [often American] and all that it entails.  How does that translate, even when the words don't need translated?)

Though I have to say I think that these shows have their place.  Any show that gets people thinking, even amongst the laughs, especially young people, deserves some mention.

Our conversation continued with how often we say the pledge and sing the anthem in the States.  He compared it to a religion.

Is the US really more politicized that I thought?  The conversation continued to mention Bush (don't blame me, I wasn't old enough to vote), Palin (why do some people like her?) and Obama (of course I had to bring up the fact that I've gotten to see him in person).  Of course, I had my opinions on them all.  Maybe I'm more politicized than I thought.

There's been a lot of things that I've come to know about myself, my country and the differences between others.  There's some things that I've known- at least on paper- that I now know.  Like how different the American school system is.  How school sports are so important to Americans, but soccer is the sport everyone else plays.

And yes, I could definitely mention my issues with the internet again...  Though the worst thing I've experienced so far is actually paying for it, and then it doesn't work.  Gah!

But that's enough for now....  since I do need to get to bed....  Class comes early.  Well, okay, not really, but for me it does.  I'm a college student, give me a break! 

Three weeks left until I head home.  And school starts.  And life becomes crazy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment